Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Garfias Wash - Hell's Canyon Wilderness

Hell's Canyon Wilderness spans 9,951 acres of backcountry a few miles northwest of Lake Pleasant and about 25 miles north of Phoenix. The most popular trail and easiest to follow begins at the Spring Valley Trailhead on Castle Hot Springs Road. The trail ends at Garfias Wash but I hiked 1.8 miles up the wash. This area is mostly volcanic rock from the Cretaceous and Tertiary periods with some granite and schist from the underlying Precambrian core. This is a fun and challenging area to explore with very few people around. I saw one person all day. I hiked 9 miles round trip.

Being alone in the wilderness is soothing. It reduces my OCD and depression. I also have type 2 diabetes and my blood sugar is always normal when I go hiking. The mental and physical health benefits are enormous. The wilderness allows me to feel normal and unwind. It's what I look forward to after working at Walmart.
































A waterfall of algae.



I brought my tripod with.











My car at the trailhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment