Thursday, June 25, 2020

Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion

I went hunting for scorpions last night near Vulture Peak in Wickenburg. This is one of my favorite pastimes on warm summer nights in the Sonoran Desert. There were small scorpions everywhere, but I was on the look out for the elusive Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion. I found this one after about an hour of searching, and getting lost in the desert. Fortunately, I had my cell phone with me and I could see my location, and that I had hiked right past the dirt road leading to my campsite. I was wearing a headlamp and when I looked around I saw the illuminated glowing eyes of about a half dozen coyotes watching me wandering about. I found the dirt road quickly and headed back to camp and then went out exploring again. That's when I found this beauty.

I catch them and take photos, and then release them. They really hate that.


No comments:

Post a Comment