Thursday, August 6, 2020

Red Mountain - Coconino National Forest

On August 6th, I hiked up Red Mountain northwest of Flagstaff. Red Mountain is a 740,000 year old cinder cone, and is unusual in that its internal structure is exposed. It also has an unusual shape of a "U", open to the west, and in lacking a symmetrical shape like most cinder cones.

I hiked 4 miles round trip to the summit. It was a difficult hike because there is no trail, and the cinders are like walking on ball bearings. I downloaded a map from the internet showing a route to the top. I followed the main trail, and just before the ladder I ascended the ridge heading east. Climbing the ridge to the top is a class 2 scramble. The summit is 7,968 feet.

On my way down, I decided to try a narrow gully, because my thinking was maybe I could slide down on my butt. However, after a short attempt of sliding on the rolling cinders in a cloud of dust, I thought I might go too fast, lose control and slam into a rock. So I climbed back up, which was very difficult on the cinders, but slowly I made it over to the ridge and a safer way down.

It was nice to be hiking in 70 degree weather that gave me a chill when the strong wind hit my sweat soaked t-shirt. The daytime desert heat of the Valley had been making me depressed, and working at Walmart too, and Red Mountain lifted my spirits.





















On the summit.

On the summit.

Me on the summit.

On the summit.




Heading back to my car.

My route.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment