Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Sugarloaf Mountain - Tonto National Forest

Sugarloaf Mountain is located near Cave Creek. This is the northern part of the Phoenix basin located at the transition zone where the ecosystems of juniper/grasslands and Sonoran Desert meet.

I left the Tortuga Trail at 2.2 miles and headed off-trail up the mountain. Near the top I encountered lots of loose rock which slowed my ascent. I reached the summit at 2.9 miles, and it took me 2 hours and 15 minutes. It was an easy hike until halfway up the mountain. As usual, I got stabbed by cactus. This time I slipped on loose rock, and put my hand on staghorn cholla. Then I spent a few minutes pulling spines out of my flesh. But a small price to pay for great views, and lower blood sugar since I have type 2 diabetes. 

Sugarloaf Mountain

Sugarloaf Mountain


Sugarloaf Mountain


Sugarloaf Mountain





Summit marker



Me on the summit.



Sugarloaf Mountain

Sugarloaf Mountain


My route from the Spur Cross Ranch Conservation Area.

No comments:

Post a Comment