Saturday, February 1, 2020

The Flatiron and Peak 5024 - Superstition Mountains

I had a hiking nemesis. On December 3, 2018, the Flatiron became my first one. I had veered off the route then, and just below the ridgeline I saw no easy way up and I turned around. I was frustrated and exhausted, and I had never given up on a trail before. I've been lost before, but I had always figured it out and reached my destination. I vowed to myself to try again someday. After a year of doing more long and challenging hikes, I felt ready to defeat this towering piece of volcanic rock.

I returned on February 1, 2020, and conquered my jagged adversary. It was hard, but it was a Saturday, and I followed others right up the rocky gully. The mile of bouldering and rock climbing was tiring but not too difficult, and I climbed up on to the ridgeline just before noon. Then it was an easy stroll out to the edge of the Flatiron. After resting for an hour I then felt ambitious, and decided to conquer Superstition Peak 5024 which rose up about a quarter mile away. It was there so I decided to do a 2 for 1 hike.

The hike up to Superstition Peak 5024 was much more difficult than I had imagined. I was scrambling over and under boulders, and attempting to dodge cacti all the way to the summit. I was beat up again, but at the summit, I felt great, because I had not only defeated my hiking nemesis, I had vanquished another peak.

Now I just need to vanquish my OCD. That's tougher than any mountain. It is my adversary too, and I'll keep trying just like with the Flatiron.

The Siphon Draw



The Flatiron



Me at the edge of the Flatiron.







Superstition Peak 5024



















The Flatiron



The Flatiron



The view from Superstition Peak 5024



The view from Superstition Peak 5024



The view from Superstition Peak 5024



The view from Superstition Peak 5024



The view from Superstition Peak 5024



The siphon Draw and the Flatiron on the horizon.



No comments:

Post a Comment