Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Gopher Snake - Agua Fria National Monument

While hiking across the semi desert grasslands toward the Agua Fria Canyon I came across this beautiful gopher snake lying across the trail. It quickly moved but I caught it just as it attempted to hide in the grass. I picked it up and it got in the strike position but did not bite, then imitated a rattlesnake by flattening its head and vibrating its tail. But I knew it was a faker. I held it by its middle and it quickly calmed down as let it move along my arms and hands while photographing it with my camera phone. This snake is found in nearly every part of the state from elevations ranging from sea level to 9,000 feet. They are usually very docile. After getting some decent photos I let the snake go.



No comments:

Post a Comment