Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Waterman Peak - Ironwood Forest National Monument

I hiked up Waterman Peak to the summit at 3,830 feet. It was about 3 miles round trip with an elevation gain of 1,260 feet. There was a faint trail to the helicopter crash site memorial, and then it was an easy off-trail scramble to the peak. I camped overnight in my Honda CRV at the Titan II Missile Interpretive Site near the mountain.
 
I also had an exciting encounter with a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake on the way up. It was hiding under a bush by the trail. I heard the ominous rattle, and froze. It was about 6 feet away, and wouldn't come out for a photo.

Titan II Missile Interpretive Site and Waterman Peak


Waterman Peak

Helicopter Crash Site

Waterman Peak

On the summit.

The Summit

The Summit

No comments:

Post a Comment