Friday, October 9, 2020

Pyramid Peak - Peoria, Arizona

I hiked up Pyramid Peak to the 2,260 foot summit. It was 4.9 miles round trip from the Deem Hills parking lot with a 750 foot elevation gain, which was mostly the last mile. Unlike most mountains in the North Valley which are composed of basaltic lava summits, Pyramid Peak is composed of Porphyritic granite, weathered into spherical boulders.

The easiest route is a class 2 scramble up the northeast face, but I veered too far west and encountered a very steep boulder climb. On the way down I angled too far east and encountered lots loose scree. I needed to be somewhere in the middle for the safest route, but I still had no problems.

Have to cross the CAP Canal

Pyramid Peak

Starting the climb.

Very steep climb.

Very steep climb.

On the summit.

Me on the summit.

On the summit.


My route.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment