Sunday, April 18, 2021

Northern Black-tailed Rattlesnake - White Tank Mountain Regional Park

I saw a Black-Tailed Rattlesnake today on my 15.2 mile loop hike at White Tank Mountain Regional Park. I was walking through Ford Canyon and heard the unmistakable rattle, and saw it on the trail. Fortunately the snake didn't want to move, and made some nice poses for me. I sat down on the trail about 6 feet away and was thrilled that snake was cooperating with me. However, it was clearly annoyed by me and my camera.

When I photograph rattlesnakes I forget all about my OCD.

Crotalus molossus (the black-tailed rattlesnake) is found from central Texas west through northern and western Arizona, and south to toward the Mexican Plateau, Mesa Del Sur, and Oaxaca Mexico. Black- tailed rattlesnakes occupy grasslands, deserts, and rocky mountainous areas. They are also found at high altitude pine-oak and boreal forests. The highly hemorrhagic venom is of moderate toxicity, but venom yield from a large snake can be substantial.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment