Sunday, April 18, 2021

Goat Camp Trail / Ford Canyon Trail - White Tank Mountain Regional Park

I hiked a 15.2 mile loop trail at White Tank Mountain Regional Park. I started at the Goat Camp Trailhead and exited through the Ford Canyon Trail. Ford Canyon is the most beautiful part of the hike and the most rugged. The Goat Camp Trail is 6.3 miles one-way and begins at parking Area 1 just off Black Canyon Drive. That trail will bring you to the Ford Canyon Trail which will lead you to the Waddell Trail on the desert floor.

I always like a challenge to my hikes. I'm pushing myself to do longer day hikes now. This is my second 15 mile hike that I have done. Fifteen miles is longest I've done in a day so far. My goal is to do a 20 mile day hike. Setting hiking goals helps reduce my OCD, because I focus on something positive.

The name White Tank Mountains was given to this range because there were many bleached out granite tinajas, or water catchments, commonly known as "tanks." This mountain range is on the western periphery of the Phoenix metropolitan area. It was formed through tectonic activities as part of a detachment fault sometime in the mid-Tertiary period, about 30 million years ago.

Goat Camp Trail

Goat Camp Trail


Goat Camp Trail

 





Goat Camp Trail

Goat Camp Trail

Ford Canyon Trail

Ford Canyon Trail

Ford Canyon Trail

Ford Canyon Trail

Ford Canyon Trail

Ford Canyon Trail

Ford Canyon Trail

Ford Canyon Trail





Northern Black-tailed Rattlesnake

Waddell Trail

My 15.2 mile hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment