Sunday, August 22, 2021

Mushroom Rock - Sedona, AZ

My 7.6 mile round-trip hike to Mushroom Rock and beyond. The ascent was 1,273 feet from the Boynton Canyon Trailhead. It's also 1.2 miles to get past the ugly luxury resort. After 1.7 miles I found the faint trail on the right, and began the challenge. It was 3 miles to Mushroom Rock from the trailhead, and it took 2 hours and 38 minutes to reach it. After that I walked on the slickrock heading southeast until I could go no farther. Then I turned around and hiked northwest until I could go no farther on the Coconino Sandstone. The entire hike took me 7 hours and 26 minutes. It was hot and I took a lot of breaks.


The trail follows the cliff.





Ascending a steep canyon.

Ascending the steep canyon on a faint and overgrown trail.

 

Mushroom Rock on the left.

Mushroom Rock on the left.

The view from Mushroom Rock.

Mushroom Rock





My feet from the top of Mushroom Rock.






The sandstone ridge I climbed up.

My route from Boynton Canyon Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment