Thursday, January 7, 2021

Dacite Mesa - Superstition Mountains

This was my second time up to Dacite Mesa, and my destination was Robber's Roost. I also wanted to hike a loop around the mesa, and explore this land of boulders and hoodoos. I started at the Carney Springs Trailhead and hiked 1.8 miles up West Boulder Canyon to the saddle. This is the steepest and hardest part of the hike. At the saddle I followed an easy trail east with minimal bushwhacking. My goal was completing a clockwise loop back to the saddle. The entire hike was 6.3 miles, and took me 7 hours and 27 minutes. I went at a leisurely pace. The elevation gain was 2,057 feet.

The Superstition Mountains are a result of intensive volcanic activity approximately 25 million years ago. They are composed of tuff, breccia, granite, and basalt. Following the end of the eruption, a caldera was pushed upwards along vertical boundary faults.






West Boulder Canyon

 

















Robber's Roost

Robber's Roost






My route.

No comments:

Post a Comment