Thursday, January 14, 2021

Peralta Canyon / Cave Trail - Superstition Mountains

I finally decided to attempt this challenging hike down the Cave Trail to Bluff Spring Trail and back to the Peralta Canyon Trailhead. I began by following the Peralta Canyon Trail to the Fremont Saddle, and then out to the Lone Pine overlook. From there I headed south to the Cave Trail. The most scary part of the trail is the Devil's Slide. It is important to locate the right gully. I went down the wrong one. The last 20 feet I slid out of control down a chute. The abrasive ash flow tuff scraped my fingers raw. Then I spent the next half hour bandaging 4 painful and bloody fingers. Although I sometimes lost the trail, it was mostly easy to follow. Knowing particular landmarks like Pivot Rock and Cathedral Rock are very helpful.

The entire 5.7 mile loop took me 4 hours and 23 minutes, with an elevation gain of 1,469 feet.

Peralta Canyon

Peralta Canyon

Peralta Canyon

Pivot Rock


Peralta Canyon

Peralta Canyon

Weaver's Needle

Weaver's Needle

Weaver's Needle

Weaver's Needle

Weaver's Needle and the Lone Pine

Looking back at the Cave Trail.












My route.

No comments:

Post a Comment