Saturday, December 10, 2022

Turk's Head - Superstition Mountains

I hiked up Turk's Head for the second time. I followed the Lost Goldmine Trail from the Hieroglyphic Trailhead for 2 miles. It took me 47 minutes to reach the rock cairn which marked the social trail in the wash. Then I made the off trail scramble up the peak. It took me 34 minutes to reach the summit from the rock cairn. From the parking lot it had taken me 1 hour and 20 minutes to reach the top of Turk's Head. The entire hike was 5.6 miles round trip and took me 3.5 hours. I got back to my car just as the sun fell below the horizon.

The Superstition Mountains are composed of welded tuff (volcanic ash cemented under extreme heat), granite, dacite, basalt, and some conglomerate.

























No comments:

Post a Comment