Tuesday, March 30, 2021

South Fork Alamo Canyon - Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

I had never been down the south fork of Alamo Canyon, and couldn't find any information about it. So this was an exploratory hike for me to see how far I could travel within the canyon. I followed the Alamo Canyon Trail from the campground to where the canyon splits going north and south. Both directions have no trail beyond this point. At 1.76 miles down the south fork my progress was blocked by boulders the size of trucks. At that point I climbed up out of the canyon heading east so I could get a view of the surrounding area. Next, I followed a drainage toward a narrow canyon. Inside the canyon I encountered a pour-off that I was unable to climb, but I was able to climb around it on the left side. That is where I turned around. Later I read that this is a route to Peak 3940. I will return in the fall and bag that peak.

The south fork of Alamo Canyon.

Climbing out of Alamo Canyon.

Climbing out of Alamo Canyon.

Climbing out of Alamo Canyon.

Looking down at Alamo Canyon.

Looking down at Alamo Canyon.


Looking down at Alamo Canyon.



Looking down at Alamo Canyon.

I turned back after I found a way through this canyon.

My 4.6 mile route.

No comments:

Post a Comment